Programs I teach...
School of Education
- Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction: Literacy, University of Delaware, 2008
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist, Loyola College of Maryland, 1997
- B.S. in Elementary and Early Childhood Education, Frostburg State University, 1994
Katherine A. Beauchat, Ed.D., is an Associate Professor in the School of Education at Notre Dame of Maryland University, where she teaches undergraduate and graduate classes in literacy education. Her teaching and research interests include pre-service teacher preparation in early childhood literacy development and professional development for early childhood educators in the area of literacy and language instruction.
- Blamey, K. & Beauchat, K. (2016). Starting Strong: Evidence-Based Early Literacy Practices. Stenhouse Publishing, Portland, ME.
- Beauchat, K., Blamey, K., & Haria, P. (2016). Narrowing the Vocabulary Gap for At-Risk Children: Lessons Learned from a Multi-Year Research Study. Pennsylvania Reads: Journal of the Keystone Reading Association. Vol 15, Issue 1, pp. 36-44.
- Beauchat, K. & Blamey, K. (2014). Five ways to integrate wordless picture books in your classroom. New Teacher Advocate: A Journal of Kappa Delta Pi. Manuscript accepted March 2013. Publication date: February 2014.
- Blamey, K., Beauchat, K., & Haria, P. (2013). Impact of explicit instruction on Head Start students’ vocabulary knowledge. Michigan Reading Journal.
- Beauchat, K., & Blamey, K. (2013). Reading Aloud in the Primary Grades: A Teacher’s Toolbox for Best Practices in Literacy and Language Instruction. Florida Reading Journal.
- Blamey, K., & Beauchat (2013). Book it! Six tips for designing your classroom library. New Teacher Advocate: A Journal of Kappa Delta Pi, 12-13.
- Blamey, K., Beauchat, K., & Sweetman, H. (2012). Vocabulary instruction through storybook reading. NHSA Dialog: A Research-to-Practice Journal for the Early Childhood Field, 15(3), 260-265.
- Blamey, K., Beauchat, K., & Sweetman, H. (2012). Supporting Preschool Teachers' Vocabulary Instruction during Storybook Reading. NHSA Dialog: A Research-to-Practice Journal for the Early Childhood Field., 15(3), 233-245.
- Beauchat, K., Blamey, K., Phillipakos, Z. (2012). Reading Aloud in the Early Grades: A Teacher’s Guide to Planning and Reflecting on Literacy and Language Instruction. The Guilford Press.
- Blamey, K. & Beauchat, K. (2011). Word Walk: A Vocabulary Strategy for Young Children. The Reading Teacher, 65(1), pp. 71-75.
- Beauchat, K., Blamey, K., Walpole, S. (2010) The Building Blocks of Preschool Success. The Guilford Press, New York, NY.
- Effects of Explicit Vocabulary Instruction on Head Start Students’ Vocabulary Knowledge. New York State Reading Association, September, 2018
- The Word Walk Strategy: Developing Young Children’s Vocabulary through Rich Discussion and Extension Activities. Florida Association for the Education of Young Children's Vocabulary through Rich Discussion and Extension Activities.
- Beyond the Read Aloud: Extending vocabulary instruction through interactive writing activities. Massachusetts Reading Association (MRA), Boston, Mass. May, 2016
- Word Walk: An Effective Vocabulary Strategy for Young Children. Virginia Association for the Education of Young Children (VAECE), Richmond, VA March 2016 and 2016 (Invited Speaker)
- Word Walk: An Effective Vocabulary Strategy for Young Children. North Carolina Association For The Education Of Young Children (NCAEYC), Raleigh, NC September 2015
- Word Walk: An Effective Vocabulary Strategy for Young Children. Wisconsin State Reading Association (WSRA) Annual Convention, Milwaukee, WI, February 2014.(Invited Speaker)
- Reading Recovery Council of North America (RRCNA)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- International Reading Association (IRA) Kappa Delta Pi (KDP)
- Keystone State Reading Association (KSRA)
- Literacy Development of Young Children (LDYC): Special Interest Group of IRA
- Literacy Research Association (LRA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Pennsylvania Research Association (PERA)
- South Central Reading Council (SCRC)
Honors and Awards
- Student Senate Faculty Of The Year Award, York College of Pennsylvania, 2015-2016.
- Invited Speaker, Wisconsin State Reading Association (Wsra), Winter, 2014.
- Pera Distinguished Paper Award, Pennsylvania Education Research Association (PERA), 2013.
- Invited Speaker, South Central Reading Council (Scrc), Fall 2012.