Special Education (Post-Master's Certification)
The Special Education certification program prepares educators to become transformational supervisors or administrators in diverse and inclusive schools. The curriculum includes advanced study in leadership, pedagogy, and literacy as they pertain to diverse learners.
As a student in this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of learning and behavioral characteristics of students with disabilities and service delivery models that support inclusion.
- Apply principles of ethical leadership including professional standards and legal requirements to promote inclusive school practices.
- Design instructional environments that use evidenced based practices and data analysis to increase achievement of diverse learners.
- Demonstrate a variety of skills necessary to plan, implement and assess professional development for adult learners on inclusive school practices
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Pass all national testing requirements, as applicable, achieving a 100% pass rate for NDMU.
- Enhance career and professional development opportunities for employment pathways in the profession, e.g., instructional support teacher, mentor teacher, department head, assistant principal, inclusion specialist.
- Design and conduct professional development that supports high achievement of diverse learners.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders to create instructional environments that promote and support inclusion and achievement of all students.
SPE 526 - Special Education for the Classroom Teacher (3)
SPE 543 - Assessment of Special Needs Populations (Secondary) (3) OR
SPE 544 - Assessment of Special Needs Populations (Elementary) (3)
SPE 546 - Methods of Teaching Students with Special Needs (3)
SPE 570 - Individualizing the Curriculum: Strategies for Holistic Intervention (Elementary) (3) OR
SPE 571 - Vocational Skills in Special Education Methods (Secondary) (3)
SPE 576 - Communication Skills for the School-Based Professional (3)
Total Credits: 15
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
What’s next: Anne Arundel County Public SchoolsAlum, NDMU Class of 2018 Special Education (Post-Master's Certification), Education/Teaching (BA/MA), Art Read story
Notre Dame is one of the state’s largest and most significant private providers of teacher education.