Notre Dame of Maryland University Student Guide to Grievance Policies and Procedures and Special Circumstances

Notre Dame of Maryland University participates in Federal student aid programs that are authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Title 34 CFR §600.9 requires states to have a “process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws.”

Title 34 CFR §668.43(b) requires that institutions, “make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and its State, Federal, or tribal approval or licensing. The institution must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student’s complaint.”

To comply with this regulation, NDMU makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using policies and procedures outlined in several publications such as the University Catalogs and in the Student Handbook. Students are expected to familiarize themselves and fully utilize any and all administrative policies, procedures and/or resources provided by NDMU.

Guiding Principles 

  • NDMU promotes a campus community that is grounded on several values including integrity, respect, and civility. 
  • NDMU strives to provide students a positive academic experience by creating a collegial environment in which questions/concerns may be resolved internally in a fair and timely manner. 
  • If a question or concern arises, students are encouraged to first seek resolution by scheduling a meeting (preferably face-to-face) with the faculty, staff, administrator, office or designated point of contact involved. 
  • If a question or concern is not satisfactorily resolved with the faculty, staff, administrator, office or designated point of contact involved, students are then encouraged to schedule a meeting with the next level supervisor or dean. 
  • In rare instances when a matter continues to go unresolved, and all earlier attempts to find a resolution have been exhausted, the next level supervisor or appropriate senior level administrator who provides broad oversight to the individual/office involved may be contacted for assistance. View a full directory of offices and individuals.  

Student Policies & Procedures

In the event that it is unclear whom to contact to seek resolution, students may consult with the Associate Vice President for Student Life. 

Academics and Student Life

Financial Aid Appeals

Human Relations


In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved by NDMU, students may file a complaint with the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) which is the State Licensing Authority in Maryland.

Students Taking Online Courses & Programs

NC-SARA States

Students who reside in a SARA state while taking NDMU online courses and programs have recourse to file complaints with the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The Commission requires students to first exhaust all internal NDMU complaint procedures. 

If a student believes the complaint has not been resolved appropriately by NDMU, then a complaint to the Maryland Higher Education Commission should be filed within two years of the incident by following the procedures of the Commission.

Non-SARA States

Students who reside in non-SARA states while taking NDMU online courses and programs may obtain contact information for the state in which they reside through the State Higher Education Executive Officers website.

California students attending out-of-state institutions can file complaints online at or call toll-free 833-942-1120.

Notre Dame of Maryland is a member of SARA – Southern Regional Educational Board (SREB)

nc-sara logo

Maryland Higher Education Commission

6 North Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Telephone:  (410) 767-3301

Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University’s regional accrediting agency, once all other avenues have been exhausted. 

Middle States Commission on Higher Education

All complaints and third party comments submitted to the Middle States Commission on Higher Education must be submitted by using the Commission's official online form.

A complaint pertaining to potential violations of consumer protection may be submitted to:

Consumer Protection Division

Office of the Attorney General
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Telephone: 410-528-8662

A complaint concerning discrimination may be submitted to:

Office of Civil Rights, Philadelphia Office

U.S. Department of Education
The Wanamaker Building
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323
Telephone:  215-656-8541