Library Media Specialist (Post-Master's Certification)
The Library Media Specialist certification program prepares teachers to broaden their competencies in technology, decision-making, problem solving, and communicating effectively which are essential skills in structuring and managing today’s school library environment.
As a student in this program, you will be able to:
- Identify effective use of technologies to impact student achievement.
- Select and Evaluate appropriate resources and leisure reading materials.
- Create a guide that collects resources in a variety of formats from a variety of sources to address the needs of diverse learners.
- Generate a handbook that details all aspects of a school library program (e.g., mission, selection and evaluation policies, weeding and circulation policies, schedules, floor plans, promotional programs, outreach efforts, budget matters, etc).
- Design an organization plan for a school library that is about to be renovated.
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Pass all national testing requirements, as applicable, achieving a 100% pass rate for NDMU.
- Enhance career and professional development opportunities for employment pathways in the profession, e.g., Archives Manager, Information Literacy Specialist, Special Collections Director, Genealogical Researcher, Young Adults Librarian.
- Generate a library media collection development plan that (with stakeholder input) assesses a library’s collection annually;
- Design an information literacy professional development activity using a technology-based professional development tool.
EDU 556 - Technology for Instruction and Management (3)
EDU 575 - Information Literacy Resources (3)
EDU 514 - Organization of Information (3)
EDU 577 - Internet in Teaching and Learning (3)
EDU 524 - Adolescent Literature (3)
EDU 512 - School Library Administration I (3)
EDU 610 - School Library Administration II (3)
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
Notre Dame is one of the state’s largest and most significant private providers of teacher education.