Leadership in Special Education - Exceptionalities
The Master of Arts in Leadership in Special Education - Exceptionalities prepares educators to become transformational supervisors or administrators in diverse and inclusive schools. The curriculum includes advanced study in leadership, pedagogy, and literacy as they pertain to diverse learners.
Additional Study Options
As a student in this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of learning and behavioral characteristics of students with disabilities and service delivery models that support inclusion.
- Apply principles of ethical leadership including professional standards and legal requirements to promote inclusive school practices.
- Design instructional environments that use evidenced based practices and data analysis to increase achievement of diverse learners.
- Demonstrate a variety of skills necessary to plan, implement and assess professional development for adult learners on inclusive school practices
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Pass all national testing requirements, as applicable, achieving a 100% pass rate for NDMU.
- Enhance career and professional development opportunities for employment pathways in the profession, e.g., instructional support teacher, mentor teacher, department head, assistant principal, inclusion specialist.
- Design and conduct professional development that supports high achievement of diverse learners.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders to create instructional environments that promote and support inclusion and achievement of all students.
EDU 543 - Reading, Analyzing and Interpreting Educational Research (3)
EDU 557 - Leadership I Seminar (3)
EDU 567 - Learning Theory and Practice (3)
EDU 569 - Supervision: Empowering Teachers (3)
EDU 560 - Legal Issues for Teachers and Administrators (3)
EDU 566 - Technology for Instruction and Management (3)
EDU 563 - Curriculum Development (3)
Select five of the following:
SPE 518 - Behavior is Language (3)
SPE 531 - Autism and Asperger’s Disorders (3)
SPE 581 - Evidence Based Practices to Support Students with Dysgraphia (3)
SPE 582 - Evidence Based Practices to Support Students with Dyscalculia (3)
SPE 583 - Evidence Based Practices to Support Students with Dyslexia (3)
SPE 650 - Enhanced Structured Literacy Opportunities within the Learning Environment (3)
Total Credits: 36
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
Flexible Class Schedules
Work with an advisor to develop a personalized program plan:
- Courses offered in the evenings at times convenient for working adults.
- Occasional courses available on Saturdays or online.
Notre Dame is one of the state’s largest and most significant private providers of teacher education.
The knowledge, skills and competencies developed in the Master of Leadership in Special Education - Exceptionalities program prepares educators for leadership roles at the classroom, school and district level.
- Master Teacher
- Instructional Support Teacher
- Department Head