Programs I teach...
School of Arts, Sciences & Business
- Doctor of Management, UMUC University of Maryland University College, Dissertation: A Positive Approach to Business Ethics Education.
- Master of Science in Management, Purdue University.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Admin., IUP Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- CMA - Certified Management Accountant
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant
My passion to teach is driven by my goal to develop effective managers and transformational leaders. My academic interests include Managerial Accounting, Management Theory and Practice, Positive Business Ethics, Strategic Sustainability, Traditional and Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management. These disciplines are interrelated by their emphasis on improving decision making for broadly defined outcomes in our rapidly evolving world.
I am an Associate Professor teaching courses across the undergraduate and graduate programs. I am the lead author of Managerial Accounting Principles V3.0 which integrates computational and conceptual content in a unique, straightforward approach for student success. I am active in applied periodical research including presenting at the Annual Meeting of the American Accounting Association, the Teachers of Accounting at Two Year Colleges (TATYC), and the Academy of Management within the past two years.
Prior to NDMU, I held accounting faculty positions at Lincoln University, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) and Stevenson University. I am and active Certified Management Accountant (CMA) since 1989 and hold an active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license.
My practical experience began prior to my academic career at NCR Corp., General Motors, Hanover Direct and Wartsila NSD. I later founded a dot com era company that released a suite of apps that improved the appearance and delivery of Microsoft Excel. I continue to provide business strategy, modeling, planning and controlling analysis for startup businesses, social entrepreneurship ventures and established businesses and not for profit organizations.
Books, Peer Reviewed Publications and Presentations
- Hillard, J. L., Wiley J. & Atkenson, A. A. (2018). Managerial Accounting Principles, (V3.0). Toronto, CA: AME Learning Inc.
- “Connecting Managerial Accounting Topics for Effective Learning”, Accepted submission to the Research Interaction Forum Session, American Accounting Association (AAA) 2018 Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.., Aug. 6, 2018. Hillard J. & Sedaghat, A.
- “Integrating Managerial Accounting for Student Success”, Accepted submission to the Teachers of Accounting at Two Year Colleges (TATYC) Conference, Tampa, Fl, May 18, 2018. Hillard, J.
- “Designing a Comprehensive Question for Connecting Topics in Managerial Accounting”, Effective Learning Strategies (ELS) Poster Session, American Accounting Association (AAA) Mid-Atlantic Region Meeting , Baltimore, Md., May 10-12, 2018. Sedaghat, A. & Hillard, J.
- “Integrating Managerial Accounting Concepts and Computations for Student Success”, Dialog Session, American Accounting Association (AAA) Mid-Atlantic Region Meeting, Baltimore, Md., May 10-12, 2018. Hillard J. & Sedaghat, A.
- “A Clear Vision for Integrating Managerial Accounting for Student Success”, Northeast Association of Business, Economics and Technology (NABET), State College, Pa, Oct. 26, 2017. Hillard, J.
- Hillard. J. and Dent, E.B. (2017, April). The Emerging Bright Side: Positive Business Ethics Education. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship,22(2), 39-66 . DOI: [10.9774/GLEAF.3709.2017.ap.00005]
- “A Positive Approach Answering Business Ethics Educational Ineffectiveness”, Divisional Paper presented at The 76th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, Ca., August 8, 2016. Hillard, J., & Dent, E.B. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2016.10663abstract
- “GPE: A Slippery Slope into a Tangled Web”, Presented to the Northeast Association of Business, Economics and Technology (NABET), State College, Pa.,Oct. 22-23, 2015. Hillard, J., & Sedaghat, A.
- “GPE: A Slippery Slope into a Tangled Web”, Presented to the International Academic Conference in Paris (IACP), Paris, August 10-12. 2015. Hillard, J., & Sedaghat, A.
- Hillard, J., & Sedaghat, A. (2015). GPE: A Slippery Slope into a Tangled Web. International Research Journal of Applied Finance. Vol. VI Issue – 7 July, 2015, https://irjaf.com/uploads/IRJAF_Case_Study_Ali_Sedaghat_GPE_A_Slippery_Slope_into_a_Tangled_Web.pdf
- Flaherty, S., Rosecky, R,, Hillard, J., & Singer, D. (2015). The impact of cash flow and debt on organizational agility. Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management, 16(1), 1-11. Doi: 10.1007/s40171-014-0091-8
- “Realizing the Potential of Positive Business Ethics in Managerial Accounting for Ethical Leadership”, Presented to The Center for Research and Innovation, Washington, D.C. Jan. 20, 2014.
- “Positive Business Ethics: Addressing the Four Contributory Causes of Business Ethics Educational Ineffectiveness”, Presented to the Northeast Association of Business, Economics and Technology Conference (NABET), State College, Pa., Oct. 18, 2013.
- Strategic Ethical Leadership for Measurable Outcomes”, Presented to The Center for Research and Innovation, 2013 Strategic Leadership Conference, Washington, D.C. June 10, 2013.
- “Preparing Business Students for Careers in Ethical Global Management”; Presented to the Association for Global Business, Nov. 16, 2011. Washington, D.C. Published in conference proceedings.