Leadership in Teaching: Early Childhood (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate)
The Leadership in Teaching: Early Childhood Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program prepares educators to maximize learning opportunities for all students and address shifting demands in early childhood education. Our program emphasizes leadership; early childhood pedagogy, skills and practices; reading; curriculum; and math for a comprehensive education aimed at responding to student needs.
Classes are held at times convenient for working adults and run for 8-weeks so that the entire certificate program can be completed in three semesters.
EDU 542 - Instruction in Reading (3)
EDU 592 - Mathematics in the Elementary School (3)
EDU 515 - Curriculum/Methods and Materials for the Young Child (3)
EDU 509 - Procurement and Acquisition of Reading (3)
Total Credits: 12
Upon completion of the certificate program, you will be able to demonstrate content knowledge, skills, and beliefs in the following:
- Use the knowledge of students to inform your teaching practice.
- Plan assessments to monitor and support student learning.
- Demonstrate skill in checking for student understanding and using feedback to assess.
- Utilize formative and summative assessments to inform your instructional practice.
- Deepen student learning by providing scaffolded opportunities for higher level, deeper learning.
- Pass all national testing requirements, as applicable.
- Enhance career and professional development opportunities for employment pathways in the profession, e.g., elementary or secondary education teacher, highly qualified with a dual or triple certification, professional developer, preparation for teaching in higher education, etc.
- Document an ability to design a thorough lesson plan that addresses the needs of all students and which provides for both formative and summative measurable student outcomes.
- Utilize classroom management skills to effectively engage students and maximize learning opportunities for all students.
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
Flexible Class Schedules
Work with an advisor to develop a personalized program plan:
- Courses offered in the evenings at times convenient for working adults.
- Occasional courses available on Saturdays or online.
Notre Dame is one of the state’s largest and most significant private providers of teacher education.