2018 MCC Career Fair
Friday, June 1, 2018 UMBC - Retriever Activities Center 1000 Hilltop Cir, Baltimore, MD 21250
The annual MCC Career Fair is your best chance to meet and network with more than 100 employers from various industries including the government, private, and non-profit sectors.
Making the Most of the Fair
Before the Fair
- Research Employers – Know who is attending the fair and research the employers ahead of time using the company website or through searches on Vault.com or Hoovers.com.
- Come Early and Show Initiative – Express your interest and motivation by arriving early to meet with employers before the fair gets crowded. Remember to bring a list of employers you are interested in meeting.
- Get Your Resume Ready – Click here for a guide to preparing your resume or work with your institution's career center.
- Prepare Questions – Have a few relevant questions you would like to ask the employers such as positions available with the organization or the types of skills the employer is seeking.
- Practice Answering Questions – Think about the questions you may be asked, specifically about your skills and strengths. Practice out loud so you become comfortable.
At the Fair
- Dress and Act Professionally – Consider this a preliminary interview. First impressions are important so leave the sneakers and jeans at home, as well as the slang language.
- Bring Resumes and References – Make sure you have enough copies printed on resume-quality paper to give to employers. Prior to the fair have others proof read your resume for errors (Ideally you should have your Career Center review your resume). Your references should be on a separate piece of resume-quality paper with your name and contact information at the top. For each reference include name, title, organization, address, phone number, and email. Don’t forget to ask permission to use your references.
- Approach Employers Confidently – Make eye contact and shake hands with the employer when you introduce yourself. Prepare a brief introduction. (Ex: Hello, my name is Mary Brown and I’m a junior at Goucher majoring in Biology. I am interesting in learning more about the research internships with your organization).
- Discuss Your Strengths and Interests in the Organization – Tell the employer why you would be an excellent candidate for the position and why you are interested in the organization.
- Take Employer Materials – Ask for company materials and business cards in order to have something for reference when you follow up with an organization. Take notes immediately after leaving the employer so you remember relevant information.
After The Fair
- Follow Up with the Contact – Send a thank you letter or call the employer representative. By letting them know your interest, you will stand out in the employer’s mind.
Career Services Coordinator
410-532-5380 Send an email