Mathematics Instructional Leader (Post-Master's Certification)
The Mathematics Instructional Leader certification program prepares elementary and middle school mathematics teachers for roles as mathematics instructional leaders, with particular attention to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the National council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) content knowledge standards.
- Grades 4-9
As a student in this program, you will be able to:
- Apply mathematics pedagogical concepts for diverse learners, including problem solving and the effective use of mathematics specific and general instructional technology.
- Design learning opportunities for students, teachers, and parents that align with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Maryland College and Career-Ready, and state and national assessments, goals, principles, and standards.
- Develop critical thinking skills and an understanding of current research based practices through reading and analyzing information in research journal articles in mathematics education.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mathematics content taught in mathematics, including numbers and operations, geometry, data, algebra, and calculus (4-9 only).
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Pass all national testing requirements, as applicable, achieving a 100% pass rate for NDMU.
- Enhance career and professional development opportunities for employment pathways in the profession, e.g., mathematics teacher, mathematics instructional leader, mathematics curriculum specialist.
- Create and evaluate transdisciplinary curricula and resources to support educator development and student learning.
- Design, conduct, and evaluate professional learning opportunities for teachers, families, and the community that use current research to promote improvements in instruction and student learning.
Math Instructional Leader Grades PreK-6
MAT 541 - Number and Operations for Elementary School Educators
MAT 542 - Number and Relationships for Elementary School Educators
MAT 543 - Geometry and Measurement for Elementary School Educators
MAT 544 - Data Analysis and Probability for Elementary School Educators
MAT 545 - Patterns and Algebraic Thinking for Elementary School Educators
MAT 546 - Algebra for Elementary School Educators
EDU 616 - Mathematics Leadership Practicum
Math Instructional Leader Grades 4-9
MAT 501 - Number and Operations
MAT 503 - Fundamentals of Algebra
MAT 507 - Algebraic Functions
MAT 521 - Measurement and Geometry
MAT 531 - Data Analysis and Statistics
MAT 532 - Probability and Simulations
MAT 533 - Pre Calculus
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
Notre Dame is one of the state’s largest and most significant private providers of teacher education.